After rough weather put paid to Wednesday evening’s racing, Sunday provided ideal conditions with enough wind for speed but not enough for breakage.
Chris Symons started strongly in the RS400s, reaching East Lepe buoy in the lead, but Mike Acton was first to the finish line after 2 laps. Paul Tyson was third and Chris Greenen’s early capsize dropped him out of contention in this tight fleet.
The RS100s swamped the top places in the medium group, led by Barry Watkin with Andy Dore and Rob Procter next in line. Martin Bean was first Laser, ahead of Chris Hobday and a steadily improving Pete Bowen.
The RS700s were out in force in the fast group, with not much space between the first 3 on the water led by Keith Hayden from Ben Willows and Bob Preston after a close race.
The cats enjoyed their 3 big laps across the Solent with Robin Leather’s Shadow and Paul Jennings’ Hurricane having their usual tussle on the water. Behind them, Mike Martin just pipped Jennings to second place corrected.
The large final group included the venerable Mirror of the Schofields, which just missed a podium place, behind the more modern machinery of Sam Metcalf, Ted Blowers and Adam Coventry.
Summer Series 7
- Cats: 1 Robin Leather, 2 Mike Martin, 3 Paul Jennings/Vykke Gill
- RS400s : 1 Mike Acton/N. Gill, 2 Chris Symons/C. Hughes, 3 Paul Tyson/Patrick Downer
- Fast Handicap Class : 1 Keith Hayden, 2 Ben Willows, 3 Bob Preston
- Medium Handicap Class : 1 Barry Watkin, 2 Andy Dore, 3 Rob Procter
- Lasers : 1 Martin Bean, 2 Chris Hobday, 3 Pete Bowen
- Slow Handicap Class: 1 Sam Metcalf, 2 Ted Blowers, 3 Adam Coventry