Summer made a welcome return to Gurnard Bay last week, giving sparkling conditions for the 36 boats competing in the final races of the Spring Evening Series on Wednesday.
The start of the medium group saw 7 of the 11 boats over the line and failing to return, leaving James French to lead home the four valid finishers in his RS100.
The extra sail area of the Fevas gave them an advantage over the Picos in the slow group, victory going to juniors Sophie and Will Heritage, closely followed by Jack Elsom and Josh Atherton.
On sunny Sunday there was club racing in Gurnard Bay, while the RS400 Open Meeting participants condensed all their action into a single day off Thorness.
Robin Leather’s cat suffered a rare gear failure, so Carl Blenkinsop snapped up the win followed at a distance by Mike Martin, Laurie Gustar and fast finishing Dave Downer.
Steve Cole and Pete Green continued their purple run in the fast group with another win ahead of Richard Fagan’s similar RS800. Although the RS700s were out in force, the testing conditions did not suit them and only Keith Hayden completed the course, taking third overall.
In the medium group, Mark Robinson’s Contender held off the asymmetrics of Chris Gillies and Ben Symons by a mere 7 seconds, while in the Laser group Chris Hobday finished far enough ahead of Libby Deegan’s radial rig to take the points.
There was a good turnout in the slow handicap class on what ended as a good day for the Picos. Although Alex Paterson took the first gun with her Race sail, she was displaced for top spot by Ted Blowers, who was competing with a Training rig.
Only 2 weeks remain for sailors to get their entries in for Magic Marine Cowes Dinghy Week at the advantageous rate.
Wednesday First Series 9
- Cats : 1 Mike Martin, 2 Carl Blenkinsop, 3 Laurie Gustar
- RS400s : 1 Graham Deegan/Judith French, 2 Pete Newlands/Derek Thomas, 3 Paul Tyson/Patrick Downer
- Fast : 1 Keith Hayden, 2 Martin Scott, 3 Richard Fagan/Peter Evans
- Medium : 1 James French, 2 Ben Symons/Derek Ness, 3 Simon Davies
- Lasers : 1 Robbie Southwell, 2 Mike Elsom, 3 Peter Bowen
- Slow : 1 Sophie & Will Heritage, 2 Jack Elsom/Josh Atherton, 3 Mike Peddar.
Summer Series 3
- Cats : 1 Carl Blenkinsop, 2 Mike Martin, 3 Laurie Gustar
- Fast : 1 Steve Cole/Pete Green, 2 Richard Fagan/P. Evans, 3 Keith Hayden
- Medium : 1 Mark Robinson, 2 Chris Gillies, 3 Ben Symons/Derek Ness
- Laser : 1 Chris Hobday, 2 Libby Deegan
- Slow : 1 Ted Blowers, 2 Alex Paterson, 3 S. Metcalf.