All the dinghy racing in Gurnard Bay over the Bank Holiday was organised as part of the Queen’s Jubilee Regatta, under the aegis of Cowes Combined Clubs and the aim of which was to enjoy time on the water while raising funds for local charities.
The first dinghy event was the Fastnet Race on Saturday, and a solid F5 brought out latent discretion in several sailors including the whole cat fleet. There were a few breakages and retirements, but Steve Cole and Pete Green piloted their RS800 around the Western Solent without incident to be first over the line and just failing to hold off Graham Deegan on handicap.
The 4 races which made up the Queen’s Jubilee Regatta were held over Sunday and Monday with only the last race being a relaxed affair as the stiff breeze eased away.
The medium group races included a dead heat between Martin Bean and Ben Symons who finished the regatta in that order followed by Chris Gillies.
RS400s dominated the fast group with Graham Deegan completing a successful weekend in first place with Chris Symons and Chris Greenen next in the order.
Paul Tanner’s preference for heavy weather won him first place in the cats, and Cordelia and Lily Ellis’ Feva held off the Picos of Alex Paterson and Mike Peddar in the slow group.
The Firefly of Ben Green and Fi Edwards took the prize in the classic boat section.
The whole event was great fun, with additional contributions coming from cream teas, raffles and competitions throughout, and concluding with the prize giving on Sunday afternoon.
Bright sunshine and a force 4 breeze provided sparkling conditions for the 38 boats competing in the seventh series of evening races on Wednesday week. Paul Bowen led home the RS400s after James Downer sustained damage in a collision and was forced to retire. The asymmetric rigs revelled in the fast reaching conditions, with Mark Harrison’s RS100 finally getting the better of George Cooper’s Finn, and Keith Hayden leading home the Fast Handicap Class in his RS700.
Wednesday First Series 7
- Cats : 1 Robin Leather, 2 Mike Martin, 3 Carl Blenkinsop
- RS400 : 1 Paul Bowen/Shaun Kellett, 2 Graham Deegan/Judith French, 3 Chris Symons/Chris Hughes
- Fast : 1 Keith Hayden, 2 Tom Harding, 3 Steve Cole
- Medium : 1 Mark Harrison, 2 George Cooper, 3 Chris Gillies
- Lasers : 1 Simon Davies, 2 Pete Bowen
- Slow : 1 Mike Peddar, 2 Kate Gibbs, 3 Adam Coventry.
- 1 Graham Deegan/Judith French, 2 Steve Cole/Pete Green
Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Regatta
- Cats : 1 Paul Tanner, 2 Robin Leather, 3 Carl Blenkinsop
- Fast : 1 Graham Deegan/Judith French, 2 Chris Symons/Chris Hughes, 3 Chris Greenen/Derek Thomas
- Medium : 1 Martin Bean, 2 Ben Symons/Derek Ness, 3 Chris Gillies
- Slow : 1 Cordelia & Lily Ellis, 2 Alex Paterson, 3 Mike Peddar.